NOTE: Under COVID-19 restrictions, Sale Water Tower Museum and Sale Museum are closed until further notice. There will be no meetings for the present time.
For many years, Sale relied on artesian wells which regularly failed. An alternative using water from the Thomson River deliver to the brick water tower in the Market Square (now Victoria Park) was constructed in 1888. It was designed by John Grainger as were the adjacent swimming baths.
The water tower has been replaced by two subsequent towers and the original is now the Historical Society’s current project. A Heritage Volunteer award to long time volunteer Peter Synan from the Heritage Council of Victoria provided the seed funding to develop the tower into a museum which now provides the history of the town’s water supply.
Grants and support have come from the Latrobe Valley Authority, Rotary Club, and many local businesses.
Follow us on facebook
The Water Tower museum is now open from 2 pm – 4 pm each Saturday. Admission: gold coin donation.