The Railway came to Sale in 1877 with the Sale to Morwell section of the line opened on 28 May that year with great ceremony. This was the first section of the Sale to Oakleigh railway line officially opened on 1 March 1878.
The Signal Box on Reeve Street was erected in 1888 and has seen little change since it was first built except for some slight alterations to accommodate changes in technology and rail operations and some timber detailing has been removed.
Originally the end of the line, the station was located near the intersection of Cunninghame and Raymond Streets. Once the line was extended to Bairnsdale, trains had to shunt back out of the town to continue on their journey. In 1984, the station was relocated to its present site in Pettit Drive and the original station site redeveloped as Gippsland Centre Sale. The Signal Box and railway gates were retained in-situ as a reminder of the original railway line and station.
Unfortunately due to unavailability of volunteers, the museum is not open on a regular basis but will return to regular openings from 10 – 2 on the 2nd and 4th Saturday of each month. Admission: gold coin donation.
Contact 0427 443 351 for group bookings or other queries