The Sale Powder Magazine, at 37-45 Stephenson Street, was built 1864 – 1865 by the Victorian Government for the storage of black powder. Black powder or gunpowder was used to blast rock in gold mines.

This Magazine was identified in the Sale Heritage Study of 1994 and acquired by Wellington Shire Council in 1996. Sale Historical Society managed the restoration of the building which was officially opened as a small goldfield related museum in 2000. It is a highly significant piece of industrial heritage, being the only magazine of its type remaining in Gippsland.

The Powder Magazine is open from 2 pm to 4pm on the 1st and 3rd Saturdays of each month.  Admission by gold coin donation.

Email for group bookings or other queries.